Saturday, September 3, 2016

An Enchanted Little Girl

Someone told a joke that fell short.
Alessia offered a kind laugh.
I believe she was offering condolences
That bespoke an empathy
Far beyond my expectations for a four year-old.
I wonder if my granddaughter is very special.
Certainly her vocabulary is enormous
And her use of language is comfortable
For a child several years her age.

She expects and receives hugs
From strangers when leaving their company,
And will usually offer a hug to adults
On their first meeting.
No doubt Mom and Dad encourage her social nature
But I would suppose there is something inside Alessia
That recognizes the love that both surrounds her
And is evident from her first interactive smile.
She likes and trusts family, friends

And the stranger standing before her.

No comments: