Friday, April 28, 2017

Polling


I shook hands twice with John, good man.
No doubt his endorsement of my writing helped.
If he does not love his candidate
His opposition to my choice was emphatic.
Unlike the shrew to whom I wished a nice day,
Having been offered a very worn tabloid indictment
Without substance, but with substantial volume,
John had reason and a lifetime dedication.

Janet, a resident in a 2-storey walkup,
Was a clear minded professional
Who could easily recite her issues.
Unlike John she had not looked at the party affiliations.
Instead she enumerated here concerns
And how the candidates aligned with her thinking.

My job was to remind people to vote.
Not to change opinions.
This was my 10th, and probably my last sojourn,
Into a world that should deal with truth

But in fact looks only for results.

No comments: