Friday, April 28, 2017

The Face in the Mirror

It’s a little wrinkled and traveled.
I don’t know if the unhappy 16 year old
Would appraise this face and the journey
It has taken as one worth the miles?
My guess? Mixed results.

Problem: I am never quite finished with yesterday.
Was I really responsible for that failure?
Didn’t the gods, or Michael push me?
The deal went beautifully, I thought, I think?

Surely that 16 year old would applaud my cleverness.
Even he knew of its existence from earlier times.
Don’t I now stand straighter then before?
He most certainly would offer a sagacious smile
Noting pathetic characteristics so familiar.

OK, I grant I’ve had more than my share of good fortune,
And, on occasion, I could understand and accept.
I hope that the 16 year old can also accept.


No comments: