Friday, May 5, 2017

Forgetting

Half way between our house and the restaurant
Someone was running in our direction.
Not again? I didn’t leave my credit card…again?
Our waitress was breathing heavily
When she reached us.
In her right hand she held the goddamn card.
This was not the first or fiftieth time I forgot the damn #%&%#$%.
But this was the first time I left my card on her table.
Of course this was the first time she had been my waitress.

I am not a collector of much, so the thirty baseball caps and 100 pens
That I never recovered have not caused sleepless nights.
My subconscious is doing its job.
Notwithstanding the many prompts that have
Encouraged closer inspections, I leave things behind.
I cannot attribute this personal flaw to inheritance.
No family member that I know, or know of,
Has been marked by this need.
There is no basis for believing I am
Manifesting a generous nature.
Whether returned or not there is no conscious choice involved.

Perhaps I am a victim of a strange study started at my birth?

No comments: