Friday, May 26, 2017

Sundays Conversation

This morning’s weekly call was special.
Maddy had Veronica with her.
It’s been years since we’ve spoken.
Veronica had lived with our mother over Mom’s last years.

I suspect that my memory of watching
From an unlit back porch, is transfixed.
Mom and Veronica sat at the corner table
Entirely engage in their Rummy game.

Mom knew the game Veronica not so much.
My mother, at 93, was transitioning
From a believer in racial opportunity
To having a black keeper and dear friend.

Maddy and I were not there when Mom died
Holding tight to Veronica’s hand and encouragement.
We were not part of the Thanksgiving celebration
When Veronica brought Mom to her family party.

In yesterday’s conversation the warmth
That flowed long after we said goodbye
Took me to a place I have rarely visited.
I hope my mother experienced those moments.





No comments: