Monday, October 15, 2012

Traffic Control


Why would the man place himself in harms’ way?
He is not saving a damsel in distress,
Merely seconds off his bike ride.
Perhaps somewhere a drawbridge is lifting?

The intersection is clear,
No cars coming from my right, down the one-way street.
Easing off the brake, moving forward by inches,
I gently step on the gas pedal.

A cyclist coming from the left
Pedals a foot in front of me,
I stop moving 
As he cycles past my car.

In that instant, when I saw him,
There was a not unpleasant thought:
I could hit and crush bike and rider,
Preventing him from completing his ride.

His was an audacious move,
It would work often.
But, what if I stood as judge
And risked my being late?

There would be forms to complete,
Questions to answer.
I would be inconvenienced.
Would it be worth it?

Of course there would be blood
And the man might not be dead.
On the other hand he will have learned...
Nothing.

No comments: