Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Crushed


Len wasn’t surprised by his termination.
Charlotte, his new boss, did not like him.
For the past two months Len had been excluded
From meetings that he had previously lead.

It was the silence of the people 
He knew as friends that cut deep.
If the termination letter was to be believed
Some of those friends had signed onto lies.

I guess it made sense.
If you are going to abandon me
It would be awfully hard
To call offering sympathy.

I’m left with my social security check,
And I am not ungrateful when it comes.
But losing the job, after 20 years 
Also meant losing my balance... again.

Ten years ago an earthquake rocked my home,
Leaving me no place to stand.
My complete acceptance of the floor under my feet
Was tested and found wanting.

I am old enough to have experienced
Love and loss.
I believe in recovery.
I will get better... soon.





No comments: