Thursday, March 7, 2013

An Edge


Getting ahead starts early.
Six million years of practice
Has produced a species
That can walk and run fast.

This is an enormous advantage 
When being chased by a tiger,
Or subway doors are closing.
Still, running has a downside.

Deciding you can cross before
That Porsche 911 GT3 RS 
Gets to you,
Might require reconsideration.

Darwin understood “edge”.
Maybe his insights included
Recognition of Brooklyn types
Who sold you theatre tickets to yesterday’s show?

Regretfully, I report my “edge” missing.
For some time I have been feeling a little slower,
Not quite able to find the right word
Or, on occasion, losing contact with someone a foot away.

Now, in my dotage, I’m just not keeping up.
Nobody looks for 75 year old gunslingers....
My remaining quasi “edge” comes from advancing senility.
I can fake wisdom. My head nod is “awesome”.

No comments: