Tuesday, March 19, 2013

As Serious as Death


I stood, caught in some nefarious deed.
I had until the count of “3”
To stop my misbehavior and clean-up my act.
(Dad always said “clean-up your act”).

He had issued his warning
And would begin counting any second.
My thought question directed to the clouds:
“How do I get into these situations”?

Now I will stand up to my father.
OK, my room wasn’t perfect.
But it didn’t smell so bad.
I haven’t broken a toy or anything.

Oh boy, oh boy.
Dad’s going to start.
I can tell; he’s standing straighter.
This is where I exercise my rights.

Miss Alexander explained that this morning.
America told England it had rights.
She said everyone has rights.
This is my room, I have rights.

Dad is looking serious,
But I have rights!
He said “1”
Nobody said I don’t have the right to agree with Dad.

No comments: