Thursday, March 7, 2013

Separate Universes


We grabbed a corner table for two
And were greeted within a minute 
By my favorite busboy, 
Delivering water, silverware and  napkins.

I think his name is Juan,
But I’m really not sure.
In fact I have no idea what his name is
But I figure it must be Hispanic.

He has greeted me most every Saturday morning
For the last six months.
We usually share a funny comment
And he’ll bring coffee.

Maybe his income is better as a busboy,
But more likely it was the position he was offered,
Because of his accent,
Or perhaps he did not aspire to becoming a waiter?

I doubt he spent much time
Wondering if I remembered his name.
Maybe I never asked.
I prefer to think I just forgot.

Most Saturdays I pat him on the shoulder.
I think of it as a comment on our shared humanity.
What the hell does that make me?
Some kind of condescending ass?

Fear not, I recover my station
And rise to continue my morning walk.
Juan, or whatever his name is,
Moves from my consciousness.

No comments: