Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Maddy @ 70


Even with a favorable wind
And a life well lived
There is a hiccup that carries
A whiff of sadness at the passing years.

True, I have not written the Great American Novel
Or been elected to some extraordinary position.
Far more meaningful to me 
Is the love of my family and some very special people.

Soon, in a matter of a few breaths,
I will record fifty years of marriage,
To a life partner, who has stood by me 
Through golden and some base-metal moments.

My children have brought me 
Tears, laughter, anxiety, but most emphatically joy.
Joy in their growth and their love,
Their craziness and their offsprings.

There were choices made over the years,
Perhaps more by good fortune
Than by grand plans,
That allow me to look about and smile broadly.

I’m far from finished,
And with luck,
I’ll see and feel 
Life’s continuing panoply.

No comments: