Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Democracy in Action



We had to make a decision
Which of us fourth graders would report.
This was not merely a class presentation.
All  grades would be in the auditorium.

I had written most of the stuff about Poland.
Each presentation before mine went 
To the kid who had contributed the most to that report.
But, here was a problem:

I had a lisp, I mumbled and I stuttered.
Generously, I would attribute Mrs. Alexanders’
Suggestion that someone else report on Poland,
To a concern I might embarrass myself.

She voiced the opinion that Fred, big fat Fred,
Who had a large voice, might give the report.
To my delight there was class-wide head shaking.
The following vote was hardly needed.

I can’t say the auditorium was shaken
By the brilliance of my report on Poland.
I can’t say my voice boomed, reaching all 250 students.
But I can say I fell in love with democracy.

No comments: