Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Mine


How much do I love Wilma?
Enough to make money no consideration
As she struggles, under the Vet’s care,
To survive and return to us.

I feel sorry for the man on the phone.
He is losing the argument with his wife.
She doesn’t want to pay the $200
For the xray the vet needs to take.

If their dog needs surgery,
There is no money to pay.
Why waste money on the xray
When we can’t follow through she asks?

At least that way we will know, he responds.
I can’t hear her next comment
But it clearly closes the matter.
Blackie, or Spot, or whatever, may not make it.

And I, $20,000 + into Wilma’s treatment,
Think how fortunate that I have the money.
How unfortunate the guy on the phone is.
And how many others would have to let their Wilma go.

I could give the guy the $200 for the xray.
Of course, I can’t take care of every dog
And I support many animal programs.
But this guy is here... now.

How deep does my rationalization reach?
There’s no abstraction to the look on his face
And I can help, but where will it end?
Or am I back justifying a perfectly reasonable act?

I don’t know the guy,
There is no tax deduction,
It’s not like a charitable contribution, right?
He’s not my problem...right?

No comments: