Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Interesting



Interesting                                             

After drifting far away
From the terribly fascinating comment
To which the speaker appears to plead for a reply,
I can usually summon a studious face and a “that’s interesting”.

While it is usually effective, it fails badly 
When the question is something like “What’s your favorite color”? 
There are occasions when “interesting” can be deadly.
Did your dentist ever describe your problem as follows?”

                “Hmmm, that’s rather hmmm,
                I’ve been looking at your xrays.
                There is a bit of a situation.
                This is really very interesting”?

All things considered (how can all things be considered?)
I prefer the inane “interesting” to “ya know”,
Or the Hawaiian “da kin”,
As in “What’s your da kin name”.

Still, these other space fillers have one major advantage:
They are not lies.
When you have no idea what the guy with the quizzical look said,
Truth might lead to “I don’t know or care what you said”.

No, I do not think myself brave enough
To help some poor soul understand that he is wasting 
A limited resource... Oxygen!
So “interesting” it is,  and I’ll hope it wasn’t a response to “your favorite color”. 

No comments: