Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Fading to Black


I’m putting coconut, pure coconut,
In my morning cereal.
Always preferred the cream pie version.
Now it’s just a shot glass of liquid.

I’m in this race.
As my mind is being shredded by advancing age                                                     
I’ve decided to bet on coconut
To fortify the remaining brain cells.

I looked at the restaurant check, $65.21.
I frowned.  It was higher than expected.
Adding the tip, I signed the credit card payment form.                           
Yet failed to notice a couple of things:

A second card was in with the bill.
The tab was made out to a different person,
And it was much higher than I expected.
Our bill was $24.27.

Yes, except for numbers, I’ve always had a poor memory.
But this was not about memory,
It was about reason.
Cause, with no effect.

I think of my 85 year old grandmother
Hiding in a closet, believing my father
Was bent on raping her.
She was placed in a senior facility by weeks-end.

I saw this U-tube piece that proposed coconut
Had saved this woman’s husband from a similar fate.
It’s probably a long shot, and nobody has pointed fingers,
But “no effect” is a sorry affect.

No comments: