Friday, August 8, 2014

Gay Day Parade


Gay Day Parade.      
I had to catch myself,
But the smile played on my consciousness,
Fighting for liberation from the insistence
That things inevitably tend south.

True, the world will not evolve 
To the place where gays become
An irreverent branch of Christendom,
But the parade looked like a tradition, not a revolution.

There were the customary flags and banners,
Those lining the marchers route seemed very supportive
And the music was light and festive.
This might not play in Dixie, but it was solid here.

My country had elected a Black President
And the outrageously non-heterosexual folks
Were spending less time hiding.
Perhaps some had lowered their fists and now shrugged their shoulders.

If the majority won't support and applaud gays, 
Their willingness to cut some slack
Speaks of possibilities that include acceptance.
I'll put aside my cynicism for now and enjoy the parade.




No comments: