Friday, August 22, 2014

My Day


A pick-up softball game,
Sides chosen randomly.
I was 25 on that hot summer day,
Happy to borrow a mitt and head to short.

We ranged from 15 to 40 plus.
A ground ball was likely to be played into a double,
But not if it came to me.
The baseball gods were giving me this day.

My first at bat I drove the ball into left center,
And by the time the ball stopped rolling
Over the unenclosed field,
I had reached home.

Before the game was over
I had crushed three homers,
One over the center-fielder’s head,
He who had said it couldn’t be done.

50 years later it is the memory
Of a pop behind third base that brings a smile.
I don’t know why I took-off 
Before the batter had finished his swing.

That ball could have been a dribbler back to the mound
Or a grounder to the space I had deserted,
But not this day.
This day that ball was mine.

It hung under a cloudless sky,
Teasing me to reach it before it landed.
Gravity, the foul line and me
In a race to claim that sucker.

With throttle wide-open 
I moved my glove hand across my body,
Staggering slightly on the uneven ground,
And closed my hand on a catch that should have become a legend.

And in my mind,  it remains just that.

No comments: