Friday, August 22, 2014

Social Contract


I believe in equality,
Which means getting my share.
That is not to suggest others should suffer more,
Rather, I should suffer less.

I walk briskly along 6th Avenue,
Parallel to the gentle green hillside
That, like the growing darkness,
Gives this hour to the street people.

Blankets and shopping carts
Are being moved into spaces
Assigned by the strongest,
Who enforce a certain tyranny.   

It is not a safe place, 
And for the women without group
Or male protection, 
It can become a very long night.

Their number has grown 
Since I last made this walk.
The heaviness of the landscape
Demands I hasten my pace.

Poverty is the common weight.
Those who appear particularly anxious
Are likely new to this park side
And may not be here tomorrow.

This pathetic scene must be repeated
Across the city, county, state, country and beyond.
It has become impolitic to suggest a solution
To a problem that predates the written word.

Few of these people will vote,
Their days are devoted to survival.
Estate planning and tax credits 
Are not their priorities.

I was told of a man who had eaten a cat.
It was not his, but that hardly matters.
The pain of starvation creates priorities
That do not impose themselves on the more fortunate.

We who believe in a national social contract
Are responsible, if not for the tragedy 
That visits so many,
Then the care of those who embody what we might have been.
















No comments: