Thursday, September 10, 2015

Lessons in Parking and Humility

It might have been the severe angle, or the unsolicited assistance proffered by the wife, but my first attempt to parallel park was a failure. Not a minor misjudgment. 30 seconds into the effort I had formed a perfect perpendicular, with my car's nose blocking the only entrance lane to the memorial chapel. My second attempt was only nominally better.
It was then that a man named Murray appeared at my car window. He explained that while he was certain I was a terrific highway driver, it appeared that parallel parking had not been my college major. I accused Murray, who would be attending the same memorial service, of being from Brooklyn. He countered that he was from L.A., but had always aspired to be mistaken for a New Yorker. I congratulated him on his ascendancy to the BIG CITY.
After consoling me with the thought that my aging process might be the problem, Murray offered a solution. He was parked in the space behind the one I had failed to negotiate. He suggested that I cease my efforts and drive around the enter/exit circle, while he advanced from his space, which flowed directly in from the entrance. Hence, I would not need to put the car in reverse.  To the cheers and laugher of my wife were now added directions to the circle that I was still partially blocking.


No comments: