Thursday, September 24, 2015

What Has Happened to the Doctors?


I recall a time when doctors made house calls.
They were not armed with the gifts of modern medicine
And the science that made our modern medical miracles possible.
Most doctors made a living, few became wealthy.

It may be that we are better served today.
I just abhor what has happened to doctors’ humility.
I have not taken a meaningful survey.
This complaint is personal.

Yes, I know that the most scrupulous of surveys
Is never unimpeachably objective.
Having properly genuflected, I will pronounce judgment.
Some of you doctors assume an unfailing omniscience.

Whether the subject be moral, or material,
It seems you did not learn something from your fathers.
Mothers might have told stores of your awesome wisdom,

But it was your Dads’ job to suggest, “be easy on the pedal.”

No comments: