Thursday, September 24, 2015

Looking For Love

What a night!!
First the cards ran, then they galloped.
Whatever I needed; came,
And I turned it into a disaster.

It’s a really small stakes game.
Nobody gets hurt, or at least shouldn’t.
I set a record, winning $100.
But the “buy-in” box was short $25.

Everyone pays in $25, but this night someone forgot…
And I was angry
Not because I collected only $75, but
No one suggested we each put in $3.15 to make it right.

I could have offered that solution,
But I expected at least one of my friends to propose the split.
Nobody, not one of my “friends” , no-o body!!
What kind of buddies are these?

Next day I emailed each and every one of them.
Even the guy who had left before we found the shortage.
I expressed my disappointment with them.
I’m sure I’ve done stupider things, I just can’t remember when.

I got a couple of sympathy notes
And one short email that I will remember.
Jimmy wrote, asking why I hadn’t suggested we split the tab,
And mildly chastised my assault on the guys.

Later that morning I sent a note.
No apology, no sir!
I told them that a 90-year old cousin had died.
He was a complete stranger to my poker buddies.

It’s two days later; my cousin is still dead,
And I don’t know what to say to the guys.
Jerry will start a new control system next month.

I’m not ready to apologize.

No comments: