Monday, January 23, 2012

Fifth Option

Fifth Option 1/15/12

She came when I called...
After checking, like a good NFL quarterback,
Her four preferred options:
Sandy Beach, Birds, other Dogs and landscape.

Rose wasn’t argumentative.
She simply knew what mattered.
Her piece of the bed might vary,
But always included encampment against my knees.

A 44 pound mutt, should not be difficult to move,
But there was some kind of moral imperative
Blocking the obvious alternative,
To laying with legs frozen in place for seven hours.

Somehow Rose had gained an absolute right
To sleep in a position that forbade me comfort.
Why should she have options
That were not afforded me?

I can imagine Rose replying:
“I don’t get to walk whenever I want,
I don’t get to eat chocolates,
And you can drive without me.”

OK, her logic is somewhat superior to mine.
I never suggested she was stupid.
But fifth option is insulting.
For christ-sake, she could show a little respect.


No comments: