Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I’m the Good Guy

I have taken the remnants
And made the structure whole.
Where there was no direction,
There are now a mission and believers.

Yet I am called out,
My motives questioned.
I hold to the need for process
But am seen as trivializing.

I have never looked for honors
Or Hosannas to reassure my acceptance.
Yet good people misunderstand me,
Thinking I wish to remain first citizen.

How sure am I that they are mistaken?
Am I hiding behind a mask,
Unaware that I have drifted
Into a defensive posture?

When did reason go out of fashion?
Or is that another ego trip,
Absolving myself from lost insight?
Is there time to recover?

My enemies are many
And sense weakness.
They deride my proposals.
Compromise is not on their agenda.

This is war
And I have wasted too much time
On self pity and good intentions.
Now I must draw blood, or concede.

No comments: