Friday, February 8, 2013

Situational Ethics


From the sidewalk I asked the twelve year old,
Removing his soccer sneakers,
How the game went.
“We won, it was a good game.”

As I continued walking
Noting my ease in stopping folks
Of any age to say “hi”.
Passing the new movie theatre,
On the very friendly main street,
I understood why the town is so conservative.
This place of little rain, comfortable weather,
Clean sidewalks and few crimes
Stands for values. Values that offer protection from
The dangers of street people 
Who stink and dress poorly;
Criminals looking to steal;
Leftists who dismiss law and order government
As a cover for discrimination.
Home ownership is held dear in this community,
And I? Yes, I do enjoy the movies, the safety,
Along with the absence of poor, dirty, smelly people?

Or is my hypocrisy showing?
Do I harbor concerns that clean poor folks
Might invade my town and ruin values,
Especially home prices?

No comments: