Friday, February 8, 2013

Taking the Pledge


Ever since Grover Norquist
Became the self anointed czar of the Republican Party 
I’ve been faced with a difficult decision:
Should I take the pledge?

Overcoming my predilection to equivocate  
I have, as of this morning, signed on.
My reluctance submerged by the facts.
Loudly, I exclaim, NO MORE CAVITIES.

The sacrifices will be great:
Less chocolates, more brushing,
Increased water picking
And reduced noshing.

Yes, it will be a trial-
Surely matched only by the wealthy 
In their show of courage
When they stand tall in opposing tax increases.

Morally, there is no denying 
The intestinal fortitude required
To turn away from people who naively
Claim greed as their motive.

Poor fools, unable to see
How great is the sacrifice.
Bravely, the rich choose not to give the government more money
Only to be wasted on lesser people. 

Yes, it is true that like those few staunch souls,
I too have stood and taken a pledge.
Chosing not the easy way, artificial incisors,
I march toward dental perfection.  

No comments: