Friday, February 8, 2013

Step 9


Gene struggled to his end.
Recovery calls for making amends,
And with that in mind he visited.
I did, and do not, remember his offense..

I do remember his sincerity.
Which had less to do with any wrong committed
Than his need to complete this task.
My name was one of twenty on his list.

It mattered little that I did not feel abused.
This was Gene’s journey.
He hoped that his apology would assuage 
Some of the guilt that tormented him.

Did it work?
I  know we had a pleasant visit.
My interest, probably not helpful, was intellectual.
He was slaying windmills, but that was appropriate.

His wife, a non-smoker, had died of lung cancer.
His son was in a drug rehab center.
Gene’s wealth and brilliant career,
Along with his self respect, were ashes.

When he had apologized to those he might
There would remain steps 10 through 12.
His was not a sisyphian task,
And perhaps the journey was the triumph.  

No comments: